Allow me to reintroduce myself...

I have no idea whats about to happen with this blog. Well, I know where i'm going to start, I have no idea where its gonna end... follow along as I figure it out

This is a virtual diary. I'm no expert on anything. This is about my journey into the best version of me. (oooh! that sounded kinda poet-y!!) Feel free to share tips and suggestions but PLEASE keep your judgments to yourself. Thanks for your support! :o)

Sunday, November 18, 2012


I'm lost sometimes.  When that happens I do what any self-sufficient adult does and call my parents. But something has changed. Each time I go to them for words of wisdom, I get some cookie cutter advice based off of the first keyword they recognize.  Goes something like this: 

Me: Ma, I been down a lot lately. I think I’m depressed.
Mom: When the last time you been to church? -_-
Another one…
Me: I’ve been having headaches a lot more than usual.
Mom: drink some water…then go to church.
 My father recently sat me down to have a talk and expressed that he was bothered because I wasn’t allowing him to be a dad. Sorry dad, after 20 some years of minimal involvement, it’s kinda hard to just put you in the game like that.  But understanding his concern, I gave him some playing time at a critical point in the game.

Me: Dad, I’m having man issues and I’m reacting to it by becoming angry which is VERY unusual for me.
Dad: Well these things take time.  You just gotta be patient. You don’t HAVE to be in a relationship
Me: -_-  SUB!!!!!

I’m realizing that I’m experiencing an entire different life than my parents had at my age and they probably honestly have no clue how to respond to the issues I’m posing to them.  At my age, my parents were divorced with 3 kids…well 4…kinda. 

I’m also an entirely different person.  My parents are a lot less open-minded and in some cases under-exposed to some of the things I have experienced.  For them, I suppose it is considered a slight victory.  For me, it leaves me with a lot of questions without the resource of experienced guidance. 


I’ve talked to friends about certain issues.  Most times I have to call multiple friends or go mentally reread their friensume (friend + resume= …no? fine then.) to decide whether they are qualified to give advice on said issues.  Most times, hail nah!  We’re over here going through the same shit and neither of us successfully, lol.  Classic case of the blind leading the blind. 

I’m very careful about sharing certain things with new friends.  Because of the community I have become a part of is pretty small, one mistake in judgment and allll my bitness is out in the streets.  Also, it seems we are all somehow interconnected so if there is concern with one person, it somehow affects someone else who is also friends with me and that person and….in the words of Jackie Chan “I dough wah no truh-bow”


I’m rarely in a situation which allows me to meet older, more experienced people I can trust.  Even if I was, that type of trust takes time to build.  Where (besides church and work) did you find that experienced ear to listen and provide guidance?  What do you do when you don’t have the answers? …and no Jack Daniels does NOT count as a source of guidance people.

No comments:

Post a Comment