Allow me to reintroduce myself...

I have no idea whats about to happen with this blog. Well, I know where i'm going to start, I have no idea where its gonna end... follow along as I figure it out

This is a virtual diary. I'm no expert on anything. This is about my journey into the best version of me. (oooh! that sounded kinda poet-y!!) Feel free to share tips and suggestions but PLEASE keep your judgments to yourself. Thanks for your support! :o)

Friday, August 20, 2010

These are my confessions...

Honesty. They say it’s the best policy. Policy sounds too much like rule and I’ve always been a fan of breaking those. But, I refuse to lie to you. That's not why we're here.  My confession is: I’ve followed every one of my rules perfectly.


Yup! Perfect diet, physical regimen, meditation, church, positivity…

Still Dont Believe me?


Ok. Ok. Fine. I’ve fallen short in a lot of areas. Exercise, Meditation, Yoga, Reading. They haven’t been made a priority. In retrospect, Meditation is probably the most important aspect of this journey. A change made in the mental/spiritual aspect will no doubt affect the physical aspect of a person.

Before I attempt to begin, I keep telling myself that my space has to be organized, I have to eat so I don’t get hungry, I have to do XYZ so I don’t forget to do it later. I may be subconsciously avoiding it. I wonder why. Perhaps it stems from my unsuccessful first attempt? Maybe it’s my aversion to “stillness.” Whatever the reason, it’s insufficient.

Exercise? Let me just be honest. I get no joy out of this. There’s no sense of accomplishment. It’s not fun. I just don’t like to get hot and sweaty (Tabula Rasa approved thoughts only!!!). Exercise is like washing dishes and I only know one person that enjoys that. Coincidently, He also enjoys exercise (foolish mortal, lol).

I think I crammed so much reading in the weeks prior two and the first week of Tabula Rasa that I burned my brain out. I was reading a total of 6 books at one time. It was truly a case of TMI. I took a week off. Back to reading this week!
Aiight which one of these WHOREmones are
responsible for my frisky vagina?!?

Confession: I had some “personal time” recently. *sigh* I was doing GREAT!!! I hate my stupid hormones! Right before my monthly cycle, my hormones put on their flyest attire and throw a party inside of my vagina. Guess who the main invited guest is… I give you a hint. He’s NOT Tabula Rasa approved. In the last year, I’ve only had had sex right before/after my period. I think if it wasn’t for my hormones, I probably wouldn’t even have sex. I guess that’s why we DO have them.



Ok. Enough with the negativity. Tabula Rasa is a journey of self-discovery. Mistakes will be made. I didn’t go into this expecting to be some perfect super-human for a month. That would be too much like right anyway. Onto to the good stuff!!

Although, I fell of in many places. I would like to point out that I have successfully changed my diet for the better and I am learning how to really cook. I snack on fruits and veggies. I drink water! Let me say that again. I. DRINK. WATER. This is really significant. I’ve never been a water drinker. I order it at restaurants. I drink it at home. I carry it with me. This tabula rasa thing just MIGHT be working.

I spoil myself when I cook. I eat 3 meals a day. I mean GOOD whole meals with sides and stuff. SEE!!




Let’s return back to the subject matter of my period. Fun stuff, right? I have a condition called endometriosis. READ ABOUT ENDOMETRIOSIS HERE. This causes majorly severe cramps each month. I mean pain to the point of tears in the fetal position until I OD on pain killers and they decide to kick in. Normally they only last a day and a half and then the pain is only moderate. They start right before and they go in HARD. This cycle, they didn’t start until the second day. I decided not to take pain killers. I wanted to see what would happen with the diet change (and I wanted to avoid the chemicals). Amazingly, I was able to get through the pain with deep breathing. Don’t get me wrong, I was still in considerable pain but it was MANAGEABLE.

I was hoping the diet would affect my hormones and emotions associated with menstruation. No such luck. I was useless for 2 straight days. I also have a personal and familial history of Depression. I am hoping that this diet change will balance my chemicals enough to where this is no longer an issue. I haven’t had any noticeable affects of depression in the last few months. For this I am very thankful.

Despite the pitfalls and shortcomings, I’m still accomplishing so many things mentally. I’m writing. I’m designing. I don’t remember the last time I was THIS hungry to learn. If you guys are on twitter and want some intelligence on your TL Follow these individuals @Earth_BE @DrDia @Consciousskillz @EFLifestyle @DrGoddess. Their insight is AMAZING.


I have one question for you guys. As I was cooking one day I was thinking “I cant wait to feed my family all of this good food.” As we all know, kids love play dates and staying at each others houses. What do you do when you child wants to stay with a family that consumes an unhealthy diet? Do you still allow them to go? Do you allow your child to eat with the other family? Do you send food with them? Do you feed them before they go? HOW WOULD YOU HANDLE THIS?



4 comments:

  1. better eating habits is great progress! behavior modification in itself is a hopeless pursuit without first changing how u think. so yea, meditation is key. of course what u meditate on matters too.

    assuming you're going to pursue a "better you" past Sept 1, it will be important to make a real strategy for winning in the difficult areas, or a depressing cycle can begin.

    keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with D on this one! Happy some changes are getting to be habits. Hopefully the small successes will motivate you to continue to so past this month!

    My month hasn't been without it's share of unfulfilled goals. But my mental quality of life has gone up DRASTICALLY.

    Regarding to food and such. I highly advice you for your endometriosis stuff to buy those flax seed pills I been telling you about. I was suffering like you too. I honestly thought I was experiencing labor pains. You will not immediately feel the change with your diet in your body. It's a progression thing. Keep at it, keep cutting cheap sugar out, and eating better. It will get better. You'll notice it around month 3 or 4. Plus I HIGHLY advice you to go buy some pure aloe juice from Trader Joe's and drink it daily. It will cleanse your system and take harmful chemicals out. Plus you're skin will be looking all young and dewy. I LOVE IT! My mom has been helping me on my cleanse. I do aloe and pure honey concentrated drink in the afternoon and Graviola tea in the evening (Google it- it's FANTASTIC).

    I know these changes will help you for a lifetime. So stick with it and make a plan to carry it into long-term.

    Smooches :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. “While washing dishes, wash each piece relaxingly, as though each bowl is an object of contemplation. Consider each plate as sacred. Follow your breath to prevent your mind from straying. Do not try to hurry to get the job over with. Consider washing the dishes the most important thing in life. Washing the dishes is meditation. If you cannot wash the dishes in mindfulness, neither can you meditate while sitting in silence.” – Thich Nhat Hanh

    ReplyDelete
  4. D! yeah. this is the most important aspect of tabula rasa and the one i've neglected the most. I see some of my old thought processes working their way back in since last week. It's been very self-defeating. :o(

    Christie- Today, I used that exact method to try to propel myself myself into action. That and the "just take one step" approach. It got my laundry washed and half the dishes put away.

    good one J... I'll try this next time! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete